The issue of weight loss is the subject of the times, as it concerns many, especially with the high proportion of obesity and excess weight, and in order to identify ways to lose weight, we must first know what obesity is.
Obesity is defined as the accumulation of fat in the body beyond a certain level that interferes with health. Cancer, some gallbladder diseases, respiratory problems, high risk of pregnancy complications and surgical complications, psychological problems and social consequences of obesity and weight gain. Many methods are used to treat obesity, including healthy and unhealthy ones.
Ways available to treat obesity
Because weight loss is a dream for many, and people are willing to pay for losing weight, unhealthy or unhelpful road marketers succeed in spreading the weight loss methods they want, especially if they promise to lose weight fast. In fact, among the tens of thousands of methods that claim to be successful in weight loss, there are only a few successful methods of real success, and some methods of weight loss promoted can not only be ineffective, but also dangerous to human health, and Come mention some of these solutions that resort to them Many.
Deceptive ways to lose weight Some of the useless methods used in weight loss include:
Fad diets or so-called innovative diets or fashion diets are very common, as these diets attract a lot of people to it with the promise of significant weight loss, and they often set excessive goals in weight loss, and they also recommend dietary insufficient diets, Many of the wrong diets promoted are dangerous to health, with negative effects ranging from minor effects such as headaches, nausea, and dizziness, to serious effects that can lead to death, and ways to help identify diets created and tricks. People need to be utilized for weight loss as follows:
- The promise of significant weight loss in short periods, while weight loss should be gradual and do not exceed one kilogram per week.
- Promoting dietary or very low calorie diets, the diet should not be less than 1200 calories for women and 1500 calories for men, the diet should give sufficient protein without significant increase, and sufficient amount of fat without increasing, Vitamins and minerals are available by diversifying from all food groups, as well as containing enough water.
- Rely on drinks or liquids instead of food, while the diet should provide food appropriate to the person’s environment and culture, and preferable food and financially appropriate.
- Trying to make the consumer dependent on special products, while a healthy diet should teach their followers how to make good nutritional decisions and choices from the foods they have.
- These methods fail to stimulate lasting real-life changes while dieting should provide a system of exercise to burn at least 300 calories a day, as well as strategies to modify behavior to radically alter faulty eating habits for life.
These programs put a salesperson in charge as an expert who advises people. This system is not true no matter how well this person is trained. There is a clear conflict with regard to providing the right nutritional advice when the dietary guide or products are directly benefiting from their sales.
These programs can require a large amount of money at the beginning of their follow-up to commit the person to continue, or request a contract between them and the consumer, while the correct diet must follow the partial payment system with each step.
- These diets fail to explain the risks of weight loss or their consequences, as the person should be informed from the outset of the rates of abandonment of diet, long-term success, and possible negative effects of the diet followed.
- The marketing of weight-loss products has not been scientifically proven to have an effective role in weight loss, such as chorionic gonadotropins, diuretics, carbohydrate inhibitors, saunas and another body wrapping, passive exercise, acupuncture, and dietary supplements. Amino and others. These methods fail to maintain weight loss after the program ends.
Over-the-counter medicines Many people take over-the-counter obesity medications, while the majority of these drugs are not approved by the Food and Drug Administration, and some of them can have several side effects.
- Herbal products and supplements Many people resort to natural products or dietary supplements for weight loss, while they can be ineffective or unsafe, since if the substance is a natural herb that does not mean that it is safe, and can result in many side effects that can be serious. For example, ephedra is commonly used in herbal weight loss products, but it has a lot of disadvantages, and many people use laxative herbs
- These can be sold in the form of diet tea, and users of these laxatives believe they reduce the absorption of food and thus lose weight, while the absorption of food occurs mainly in the upper part of the small intestine, and these herbs affect the lower part of the large intestine, including Side effects that these products can cause are diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, cramps and sometimes fainting. These products have in some rare cases caused death for women who have reduced their intake too much.
Hot tubs, saunas or steam rooms do not help dissolve body fat as claimed, and if weight loss is due to water loss and dehydration, not fat loss, creams, sponges and products applied to the body or wrapped in the body Don’t reduce cellulite, because cellulite is something that doesn’t exist.
Treatment of obesity with drugs and surgeries
Approved medications or surgeries can be used in the treatment of obesity, but these options are used only if the degree of obesity justifies it, and the benefit of using these methods outweigh the risks or side effects and complications that can result from them, as getting rid of obesity Excessive health risks can be necessary to justify such solutions.
Treatment of obesity with drugs:
Research has turned to the search for drugs to treat obesity on the justification that obesity is a chronic disease and must be treated like other chronic diseases, which are drugs are an essential part in the treatment, but with the success of some drugs to lose weight, but the use of long periods cause health damage. Weight loss medications depend either on the appetite suppressant principle or on the principle of reducing the body’s ability to absorb fat, such as orlistat.
Surgical obesity treatment:
In these operations, the size of the stomach is reduced, which reduces the secretion of ghrelin hormone responsible for hunger. These operations are usually effective in weight loss, but their effectiveness and success depends on the extent of adherence to the doctor’s instructions after the operation, especially instructions on diet, as well as the extent of the complications that can occur immediately after these operations are inflammation, nausea, vomiting, and dehydration, and can lead to deficiencies in certain vitamins, minerals, and some psychological problems. T long-term.
A person undergoing this type of operation should remain under a life-long medical follow-up. Some also resort to liposuction, which is considered cosmetic operations that do not treat obesity in its cause, but its external shape, which may make it a temporary solution if it is not followed by treatment for the causes of obesity and modify the diet and lifestyle, although the liposuction operations are generally considered safe but may cause serious complications leading to death.
Alternative surgery solutions, such as balloons, are temporary but do not substitute for diet, exercise and lifestyle modification for long-term results.
The best way to treat obesity
The most successful and best ways to lose weight are those that adopt simple gradual changes, moderate weight loss, and the setting of logical goals, while working to address the wrong nutrition behaviors gradually, and the method of weight loss should be based on a full assessment of the nutritional status of the individual, and make an appropriate diet according to Diet should give low-calorie intake of what a person needs to maintain his weight but not reduce it excessively, and the diet should contain sufficient amounts of all nutrients, and therefore should not lower calories less than 1200 calories This makes it difficult to provide all the nutrients in the diet.
A person who is on a weight loss diet should eat fewer rations with more meals, focus on low-calorie foods, and avoid high-calorie foods such as fried foods and foods high in sugar. The person who seeks to lose weight must exercise to increase the level of energy (calories) burned by the body, and sports contribute to raising the body burn indirectly, which is by stimulating the metabolism, and continuous exercise Improve your body’s muscle ratio, and muscle tissue supports increased and sustained calorie burning and weight loss. Sport also regulates appetite. Unlike what many believe sport increases appetite, it releases energy compounds and raises them in the blood, which reduces appetite and inhibits the digestive system. Therefore, a person does not feel hungry immediately after sports. He needs to rest after sports before he feels hungry. Correct obesity treatment involves modifying and changing erratic behaviors. This is done by identifying these behaviors and developing strategies to treat them. Alternative treatment plans should be developed in case of failure of the first option and should be taken into account in strategies to treat nutritional behavior. The changes are gradual, taking into account the willingness and degree of willingness of the person